Monday, April 6, 2009

Thar She Blooms~ ! ! !

Thankfully the yeast that has been stowed away in a tightly closed container in the recesses of my refrigerator has proven to still have some life left in it as it successfully bloomed when added to warm water and sugar this morning before leaving for a doc appt in Stockton.

I warmed some bottled water as the tap water here likely has way to much chlorine in it to make finicky yeast happy and added a tablespoon or so of the yeast to the bowl of water and left it alone for a couple hours.

It "bloomed" very well while we were away seeing one of my docs. Now I am sure it will properly make my bread rise the way it is supposed to...
We will make sourdough bread, french bread, and probably pretzels as Miranda has been craving them. I will retain some of the bloomed yeast to make a sourdough starter so that we will have the ability to make a range of home made sourdough stuff... sourdough blueberry pancakes, plain ol' yummy sourdough bread, cheesy parmasen garlic breadsticks, etc for a few weeks...

yum.

1 comment:

Jessica (I've survived a brain tumor!) said...

Okay, I was a little weirded out at first about you being excited that there was yeast in your fridge, but then I caught on that you were baking with it. WOW! Blonde moment!